Ahhh, summer…home-grown tomatoes, corn-on-the-cob and fresh lemonade. From a cold glass of lemonade at a cook-out, to a quick cup from your friendly neighborhood lemonade stand, this drink has been satisfying both young and old in a variety of settings for years, with summer serving as its most popular time to consume to quench your thirst. But beyond quenching your thirst, fresh lemonade has many health benefits as well, because it contains lemons!
Lemons are actually considered a superfood and contain plenty of health benefits and even topical uses. Since lemonade is essentially lemon juice combined with water and some sugar, it is an easy way to get a healthy dose of lemon.
Vitamin C, B6, and A are just a few of the many vitamins, minerals, and healthy compounds found in a single lemon. They also contain flavonoids, which are helpful antioxidants that can assist your body in numerous ways.
Here are just six of the many benefits you can gain from drinking lemonade.
- Digestive Assistance: Lemon juice is highly effective in fighting both indigestion and constipation. Drinking lemonade can give your digestive tract the extra assistance it needs to break down foods you’ve consumed, while loosening waste that is lining the walls of your bowels.
- Kidney Stone Prevention: If you’ve ever had a kidney stone, you know just how terrible it can be. Increasing your water consumption can definitely help to stave off future occurrences, but lemonade can help even more. The citrate you get from drinking lemonade can increase the amount found in your urine, which goes a long way in preventing the stones from even forming.
- Weight Loss Support: You may have heard of lemon juice and lemonade being used as part of a weight loss regimen. It’s for a good reason. Lemons contain pectin, a soluble fiber that has demonstrated weight loss properties. Lemonade can also help you feel full, which aids in staving off a nagging appetite.
- Fever Treatment: Lemonade can help increase perspiration output, which is one of the best ways to break a fever. If you are suffering from the flu, or any other sickness that involves fever, try drinking some lemonade to speed up the fever’s breaking point and get back on track to a normal body temperature.
- Cancer Prevention: The antioxidants found in lemons have been shown to prevent cells in your body from deforming, which is what leads to cancer developing and spreading. Drinking lemonade on a regular basis can ensure a constant intake of these antioxidants.
- High Blood Pressure: Lemons contain a high amount of potassium, which can help to calm numerous cardiac issues. If you are experiencing high blood pressure, nausea, and dizziness, try drinking some lemonade for a calming and relieving effect.
Want to learn about the health benefits of non alcoholic wine? check out our blog